We’re SmileDirectClub, and we believe everyone deserves a smile they’ll love. We also believe that you deserve a job you’ll love. Good thing you found us, and we found you.
Since we started in 2014, we've made over a million new smiles all around the world. Our customers’ before and happily-ever-after photos speak for themselves. More than 80% of people could benefit from orthodontic care, yet only 1% receive it each year, with convenience and cost being the biggest issue. SmileDirectClub exists to bridge that gap.
If spreading smiles around the world sounds like something you could sink your teeth into, we want to talk to you!
About the role
This is a unique opportunity to join our highly autonomous, self-organizing, cross-functional AI team to shape the future of high-tech, direct-to-consumer telehealth.
As a key member of our small, tightly-knit team, you will have lots of ownership and impact on the backend products and concepts we’re building, and use the latest technologies to help us tackle tough design, product, and technological problems.
Although ultimately we’re working towards end-user products, this position would entail extensive experimentation and prototyping aimed at system experiences of the future, and you will be working very closely with a few other software engineers, designers, and ML scientists on our team to iterate quickly and ship early and often.
As a team, we value empathy, curiosity, candor, diversity of thought, helping each other, building on top of each others’ work, and psychological safety that allows us to bring our best, whole selves to work.
We're looking for creative, out-of-the-box thinkers who love their craft, question the status quo, go out of their way to help a colleague, speak up when they see a problem, and believe the only dumb question is the one not asked. Bonus points are if you’re interested not only in building cool products but also in the mechanics of highly functioning teams.
It will really make us smile if you have...
- 5+ years experience as a Software Engineer
- The ability to quickly learn what is necessary to get stuff done
- A sense of beauty in engineering (ok to replace “beauty” with “simple”)
- Emotional Intelligence
- Preference to work in a team (group of people with shared vision). We believe that TEAM=PRODUCT
- Are fluent in Python
- Program well (No problems expressing your ideas in code)
- Good engineering habits (“I’m not a great programmer; I’m just a good programmer with great habits.” - Kent Beck)
- General knowledge of Terraform. (We would love it if you could implement a feature up to the final deployment without handovers).
- Some working knowledge of containers.
- Some SRE background e.g. system monitoring and alerting (we use Datadog)
- Knowledge of common back-end technologies (databases, queues)
... and we’ll give you extra points for...
- Terraform CDK
- TypeScript knowledge
- Some knowledge of Machine Learning
If you don’t feel like you satisfy all of the above, but are excited about this opportunity, we highly encourage you to apply!
Benefits of joining the club
Whether it’s financial well-being, balancing parenting and work, or stress management, we’ll provide you the support you need to do your best work yet. Our first-class compensation package includes a competitive salary and options offering, a 401K match, medical, dental and vision insurance, flexible working hours, paid parental leave, unlimited time off, tuition reimbursement, aligner and whitening treatment discount, and a lot more!